What the Dogs Ate – X-Rays of Stuff in Dogs’ Stomachs

If you think your Bulldog won’t eat anything other than food, take a look at these x-rays of things dog ate from the annual contest called “They Ate What? 2011 X-ray Contest Winners” from Veterinary Practice News.  Bulldog lovers will like the last entry 😉

Pay attention to why the owners brought their dogs into the vet so you can learn some of the symptoms of your dog eating a foreign object.

I’m only showing the two Bulldog entries:

A 6-month-old bulldog, Tinkerbell, ate a training collar off another bulldog in their house.  The owners had no idea until she ate a second metal slip collar and then proceeded to become seriously ill.  Doctors were surprised to find two slip collars in her stomach.

And my personal favorite.

Prince Edward, a 9-year-old bulldog, ate his owner’s false teeth when he found them in a bowl that had ice cream in it. The teeth were returned to the owner and she is smiling again!

Bulldog that ate false teeth

To see the rest of the entries visit the Veterinary Practice News website

divider

Comments

  1. tina
    November 15th, 2011 | 9:38 pm

    i have two bulldogs father and son they will put anything in there mouths that they can get there teeth on it can be really annoying but what can i say i love them to death it hard to punish them cuz they give you thou big sad brown eyes

  2. Janette
    November 16th, 2011 | 10:54 am

    Can you believe it, those X Rays – I certainly can, and very soon may consider my Vet for an X Ray to our 18 month old, he has bad digestion problems – and experienced odd behaviour (short spurts of dashing around, or unable to sit, move rapididly motions out of the way, anxious) ears and face look sad – obvious he’s been in pain ….. on and off for quite some time, the symtoms are not always the same, this behaviour has happend after meal times (now down from three to two meals per day) and has often happened, after he has emptied his bowels – he’s been examined twice, and the vet found nothing unusual – he’s been on the best food Royal Cannin since a pup (fabulous coat) and he’s fit and healthy otherwise, with no other problems. Our vet suggested Royal Canin ‘Gastro Intestinal’ prescription food – and this has helped a great deal (but ho gosh, its so expensive £48 for 7kg bag aaagh) but this has settled the very weird symptoms he was experiencing previously (he was on RC Bulldog 24), he has only had a few very short symptoms whilst on this prescription food, the biscuits are very small, and must be easily digestable – has anyone else experienced this ? or, I am wondering whether an X Ray would rule out, any underlying problem ….. ie has he eaten something that we don’t know, and it hasn’t passed through ? ie only once months ago he was quite sick only on one day, I put this down to him sneaking a lick of water from the pond – hate a bulldog to have anaesthetic, just trying to eliminate first, if he genuinely has a tummy/digestive problem …… I tried the low fat one and the dog wouldn’t touch it after a few bits – he was sick ….. otherwise he’s gorgeous mini tank and fit and healthy, and always willing to go out for walks, a very active dog for a bulldog, let us know anyone experienced similar? I would appreciate it, and thanks Jan and Barney

  3. Jan
    November 16th, 2011 | 11:00 am

    x-ray is worth it to rule out a foreign object. They do not put him under to do it. Did they check his anal glands? or is his tail pocket infected? these can cause similar symptoms

  4. Tom Langlois
    November 16th, 2011 | 3:44 pm

    I have to keep an eye out on my bulldog’s tail pocket. I must always keep it cleaned-out and dry. It is very prone to dirt and infection, etc. I would imagine that all bulldog owners must pay close attention to the tail pocket.

  5. Tom Langlois
    November 16th, 2011 | 3:45 pm

    Can I check (and/or drain) anal glands at home or should this be done by a vet?

Leave a reply